Thursday 30 July 2015

Trusting in God

Trusting in God
Acrylic on canvas
6" x 8"
29/07/15
40 minutes
Given to a close friend

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6 ESV)
 
I was asked by a close friend of mine to paint this picture for her when I shared this image with her at church. The original artist is unknown, but the picture has received attention online and has since been circulating in Christian communities.

This picture struck a chord in me. In this image, Jesus is seen bending down to speak to the little girl and to directly reach out to her and seek her trust. He has no ill intentions - He carries a huge teddy bear, indicating His greater plans. The little girl is fully aware that Jesus is God ("But I love it, God"), yet is struggling to surrender her toy to Him because she loves it too much.

I see myself as the little girl, being overly attached to material things, desperately clinging on to the tiny teddy bear representing my worldly treasures and possessions, unable to fathom the greatness of the Lord and His huge teddy bear representing the larger heavenly treasures that He has in store for those who fully love and trust in Him. Sometimes I find myself pushing Him away even when He directly reaches out to me. I find myself unable to let go of something that is tangible and securely in my hands, to replace it with something which is intangible, or which I cannot immediately hold.

Yet this is short-sighted, for the Bible tells us "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21 NIV)

This verse warns us of the love of earthly things, which would perish over time, but urges us to focus on things that are eternal, such as the treasures in heaven. It tells us to keep our heart on God, so that we are able to build our happiness on a more lasting and noble foundation, and to keep our heart and souls completely pure, for "What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?" (Matthew 16:26 NIV).

In addition, we have no reason to doubt God's goodness or plans for us. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11 NIV)  "What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:11-13 ESV)

So this picture reminds me to continue to fully trust in the Lord, even in things that I cannot understand, and seek Him in all things, so that He may set my paths straight towards Him and away from the love of tangible material things. For He is good and knows what is best for me. I will seek Him unceasingly, I will keep on knocking on His door, so that the wonders of His heavenly treasures will be open to me and within my reach!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment